TollFreeForwarding.com: Technical SEO and Content and Online PR Case Study
increase in goal completions YOY
increase on keywords in top 3 of SERPs
TollFreeForwarding.com is a telecommunications company based in Los Angeles, providing international toll-free, local and virtual numbers. TollFreeForwarding.com came to Search Laboratory after their visibility dropped significantly because of penalties obtained from Google Penguin and Panda updates.
The objective of the campaign throughout 2016 has been to recover positions and visibility and then grow this progressively, leading to higher conversions. This has been combined with future-proofing the website against future penalties and algorithm changes. The emphasis was focused on removing the key black hat tactics that Google had targeted with algorithm updates, while a specific focus was on building quality and natural link targets across the website to have a positive impact on overall authority and website health.
Search Laboratory’s initial focus for SEO was to do a website audit of the client’s backlink profile. The client had historically acquired toxic links and required intense monitoring across several months. This was due to significant volumes of bad links being uncovered on a frequent basis. Search Laboratory carried out the following work:
- Backlink profile monitored using several tools over time and any new toxic links were added to the disavow file.
- Initial disavow file was audited with any good websites being removed completely. Any evidence of toxic links on good websites were changed to individual URLs to avoid impact on any future linkbuilding activity.
Additional work includes:
- Service menu been added to the main navigation.
- Orphan pages repaired with internal links and additional content.
- Management of Google Search Console and error checking.
Content and Online PR
Content and Online PR focus across the past 12 months has been to create insightful and relevant content towards business publications. This was a key focus for the client as B2B is the most profitable area from leads.
This was achieved through:
- An innovative creative campaign calculating how much it would cost ET to phone home. This combined a parallax design page, well-researched data and a wider business hook. The aim of this was to seed it on catalyst websites across business, technology, geek and sci-fi niches
- Survey into Customer Loyalty which included unique research into how companies could strive to keep and create loyal customers
- Well-researched content pieces, such as whitepapers into effective communication, which could be used for content marketing targeting a host of different areas
- Re-purposing existing content the client had on their website, such as infographics
- Providing contributed content on external website
- Constant monitoring of existing brand mentions
Nearly 8000 domains have been disavowed in total showing the extensive amount of work undertaken.
Coupled with other SEO activity and COPR, this has led to the following results:
- All goal completions up 30.71% MoM
- All goal completions up 117.71% YoY
- Paid sign-ups increased by 24.75% YOY
- Number of keywords increased from over 300 (Sept 2015) to 5306 in November 2016
- Volume of keywords increased by 42% since September 2016 alone
- 89% increase on keywords in top 3 of SERPs since September 2016
- 5% increase on keywords on page 1 of SERPs since September 2016
- Huge visibility increase since Penguin algorithm update in October 2016
Content and Online PR
- 100 links acquired and 29 pieces of coverage with average DA of 45
- Links on websites including Gizmodo, MSN, RadioTimes, NetworkWorld, PR Daily, DigitalSpy
- International links on websites in Germany, Czech Republic, Spain, Peru, Australia, Argentina and Slovakia
- ET Project acquired 26 links and 15 pieces of coverage to date
- Nearly 100 social shares linking to the ET coverage